18 February 2024

The Problem with Versace

    I love Versace, I've always loved it since I was at secondary school. It is my number one designer, luxury brand but as much as I love it, there's a problem with it and that is, they don't have a permanent collection which makes them look like they've got no clear identity.

    Let me give you an example. Fendi's got the Baguette, the Peekaboo and so on. Recently, I noticed Versace has removed all the Repeat bags from their websites (I guess they didn't sell well but I still like them) just like they removed the Medusa boots and I know now Versace is trying to make the Greca Goddess bag as a part of their permanent collection but what if the bag doesn't sell well either? Are they gonna remove it from the website too and come up with a new bag? Actually, they already have, the Athena bag which is a copy of the Dior book tote but at least the latter is a classic bag and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd remove it too because it's not gonna sell well, mark my words.

    To me, they're trying so hard to keep up with the latest trends because they think by doing so they'd make more money but they're actually losing the roots of the brand which is sad because it used to have a strong identity. Versace is about confidence, sex appeal (Cole Sprouse and Hyunjin don't capture this), la dolce vita.

    I think Versace needs to bring back the Palazzo Empire bag and the Triple Platform heels which are what Versace is known for and the Aevitas heels need to be a part of the permanent collection. Also, they seriously need to go back to their roots.