10 January 2026

Revisiting My Childhood

    I had a hard childhood because I grew up in poverty which I've spoken about before but I had some bittersweet memories (I had more bitter memories than the sweet ones) and one of them is RahXephon. I used to watch it after I came home from school and it resonated with me as its themes are loneliness, alienation, self-worth and so forth, all of which I struggled with when I was young.

    Some people have compared it unfavourably with the much more well-known Neon Genesis Evangelion which I've seen too but to me, they're not the same and I personally prefer the former since I feel like it's more sincere whereas the latter feels like a religious exploitation.

    It's not perfect because especially in the middle of the series, you can see the animation isn't as good as the early and the later parts of it but it still feels genuine and it's one of my favourite animes. Rewatching it brings back emotions that are complicated for me to express but they feel good.

    There are 23 episodes to go but it feels like some sort of a journey and I look forward to it.